Tuesday, December 18, 2012

CHRISTMAS 2012

   Living close to where I spent a year of my childhood made me think to post this poem about those days. The Christmas in Tuckahoe where my mother and brother and I stayed while my dad was stationed in the Azores was one of my happiest Christmases. Yes! It snowed. My first snow. In Brazil, my birthplace, snow was only in picture books and December came in summer. I felt I had landed in a picture book. Faeries and elves would surely prance on the top of the chest of drawers dancing a ring around the Nativity set.  I had wanted a doll pram and yes! I received a white wicker doll pram just my size. I was five and I was allowed to, trusted to, walk the pram to the end of the block and back by myself. Such independence! Such responsibility. I walked and walked and dreamed about living in America for the rest of my life. It took awhile.           


        TUCKAHOE

Eureka 2008

Rosalie said it was a Forever Year,
"Because of the way the 8 loops.
   Infinity divinity."
Like a child's train set, I thought.
Tracks, pretend trees, papier-mache blue mountains,
     little figures waiting patiently at the depot,
and the best feature: the light coming through the tunnel.

I've never tired of the light 
 and the quick holding
    of breath at each approach,
       part of a ritual.

Window shopping in the city. 
Della scurrying to find Lionels at Gimbels.
"There isn't a train I wouldn't take
    no matter where it was going,"
  she'd sing-song cheerily.
Her all seasons' quote is especially nostalgic at Christmas,
  as on the first Christmas I clearly remember,
   the train took us from Tuckahoe
      to expansive, wondrous Grand Central.
Snow! Kings! and kneeling camels!

This Forever Year brings olde scenes circling
    in a noisy clickity-clack of memories.
Hurry! Look! The dizzying, dazzling heart-stopping light
  comes this way again.  

...the blessings of seasons and childhood expectations fulfilled
be yours...  


4 comments:

  1. what lovely pictures you paint - tuckahoe, the snow at christmas, a train-set, the pram walk and more. it sure put me in a holiday mode. thank you.
    c wil

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful Christmas post. Della saying "There isn't a train I wouldn't take no matter where it was going" gives me a hint to where you got your wanderlust. Or at least one of the ways you got your wanderlust since I know your entire family seems to have it! The post is so nostalgic that I feel as though I am that little girl experiencing snow for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the loops, the clickety clack of memories. All aboard! L+L

    Roberto





    ReplyDelete
  4. ...from Nantes:

    Lovely poem ....I like dizzying dazzeling (Have I spelled that correctly?) Yep! It begins to feel like Christmas! Have a lovely time! H XX XX

    ReplyDelete