Friday, August 3, 2012

58th on a Sunny Day


  Ten minutes early to the library. 






If this had been a Tuesday or 
Thursday, I would have been late but Monday hours at the 58th Street branch dovetail with the 67th. That's the nature of library cut-backs, although recent news alerts have the funds restored. There is a nicely designed waiting area outside with planters and benches so I sat in the only available space next to two middle-aged women who had a very elderly woman in a wheelchair with them. I will call the latter Pink Hat with Flower (PHwF). They were turned away from me intent on their conversation. One of the women was holding PHwF's hand which I thought an affectionate gesture till I realized it was to keep PHwF from waving at people. Eventually, PHwF managed to snatch her hand loose to wave at me. Her daughter, I'm presuming, was embarrassed and apologized. Why? I asked what PHwF's name was which reluctantly was answered by, "Christine." "That's my name! She is not only friendly but psychic." Daughter told Mother, "That's her name, too." PHwF marveled. I felt a challenge coming on because Daughter had been decidedly standoffish, private about her problems, not enjoying her task of caregiving. I took a guess and plunged into a couple of stories. One was about the days when I visited what we called a Rest Home. I spoke every afternoon to someone who could only shout, "No!" I'd ask her various questions. "Do you like the color blue?" "No!" "Do you like dresses?" "No!" The nurse said this patient looked forward to my visits. How could she tell? One day I whispered, "Do you like ice cream?" A pause. "Yes!" It was the only yes I received but we all considered it a breakthrough. Another time, I told my captive audience, I was telling a story to a friend who was serving lunch to her mother who had Alzheimer's. I noticed that she seemed focused on my teeth. Suddenly she burst out with, "That's the funniest thing I've ever heard!" She had not spoken in two years. 

The library opened; I rose to leave.  I would have liked to stay as Daughter was looking more and more relieved but I had errands to run. I said, "Goodbye, Christine!" She waved heartily. She was allowed to wave. Sometimes it pays to be early.

1 comment:

  1. this is a very touching story and you certainly did touch phwf with your kindness. c wil

    ReplyDelete