Monday, August 20, 2012

AT THE TICK TOCK


The Tick Tock Diner is located on the ground floor of the New Yorker Hotel, a venerable favorite once hosting the very elite. It fell into  decline in the '70's and closed to be re-opened by the Moonies, then later resold. Now it is once again a magnet but this time serving as a handy destination for those disembarking at Penn Station diagonally across the street. It's likely I went there for pancakes when my mother and I joined Aunt Stella in 1944 on her lunch hour from the Holiday Book Shop. Every time I watch an episode of the hilarious British show, Black Books, I think of cheerful Mrs. Holiday, elegant in a Noo Yawk way. Perhaps she, too, tried the pancakes with us. There is a mural inside boasting of comfort food with a '50's gas station scene. I like the eager tourist atmosphere. I have learned, and forgotten, eight different languages' version of "Have a nice day." My 34th Street jaunt includes Joey's Discount around the corner where temptation is mighty as I wear symbolic jewelry. For instance, at this very moment on my wrist:

a peace friendship band
a Hunger Site bracelet made from recycled magazines
a Starbuck's jobs for impoverished communities in the U.S. wristlet
shell art given to me spontaneously at the Port Authority Greyhound hub
Henry beads

Joey's is the ideal place to pick up a little somethin' symbolic. Remember my post about the library and the elderly woman I called PHwF? Pink Hat with Flower. Well, "By Jove!" as my dad used to say, I found a ring comprised of a woman in a pink hat with flower for a dollar.  I felt guilty thinking about the person in a sweatshop in Asia turning out hundreds of dollar rings but guilt can always be rationalized away. I decided it was triply symbolic:
1.  honoring PHwF
2.  remembering those who work in sweatshops
3.  grieving over the loss of jobs by corporations moving overseas, such a the Payday candy bar factory featured in a Michael Moore documentary. 

The Tick Tock serves breakfast all day; theirs is a 24 hour day. I heard there are some 20 varieties of omelettes. Grits is a side dish! If you enjoy listening to eight different languages at once, I recommend it. Can you guess? Yes. I am drafting The Little Apple's Guide to the Big Apple's Boroughs and Orchards. 

1 comment:

  1. so, when do we eat? i assume the pancakes are still there but the low prices aren't, and the grits must be something new, along with the 20 varieties. my stomach would be rolling about now, if i hadn't just eaten a big dinner. we must go, and soon. c wil

    ReplyDelete