Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Birthday Blob for Sidney



"This was a townscape raised in the teeth of cold winds from the east; a city of winding cobbled streets and haughty pillars; a city of dark nights and candlelight, and intellect."--Alexander McCall Smith
~~~~~~~

There were few days in my childhood finding me shivering. Those were un-airconditioned times with starched school uniforms wilting by seven a.m. Imagination was my coolant. My two favorite ways of beating the heat were reading novels set in Scotland, or at least the north of England, and lullabies. Lullabies in song or poetry. I still can hear the thrilling opening of Wynken, Blynken, and Nod like an evening prayer. Often when I drift off to sleep I catch the strains of, "Fourteen angels watch do keep." In high school, I accompanied a friend, June Till, whom I later called, "The Songbird of the South." She sang opera arias, hits from musicals, and sentimental Irish favorites such as, "Down by the Salley Gardens." I have listened to many a soprano since but none has moved me as much as June, so aptly named. What I liked best out of all her repetoire, though, was a lullaby: "Sleep, little dream prince of mine." When Sidney was born, it was a natural thing for me to write something similar for her. The 5 syllable pattern is whispered. The chorus (7 syllables) is sung.


8/21/03

Flowers crowd jetties.
Sidney is sleeping,
Dreaming of plum trees. 
Peaceful angels cradle thee,
Heart and hand in tender care.
Huskies, tabbies sing goodnight,
Warm hug-locks from gentle bear.
Dreaming of roses,
Sidhe Izzie sleeps.
Fog drifts in the yard. 
Peaceful angels cradle thee,
Heart and hand in tender care.
Huskies, tabbies sing goodnight,
Warm hug-locks from gentle bear.
Stars illuminate;
Jetties are dew-clean.
Sidney dreams of swings.
Peaceful angels cradle thee,
Heart and hand in tender care.
Huskies, tabbies sing goodnight,
Warm hug-locks from gentle bear.

Photo Credit: Snazzy Daddy


For your cooling enjoyment, I recommend a Native American verse, "Go to sleep, Little Papoose." It has the combination of lullaby and Far North. Already, just typing this has lowered the heat index here. I hope reading it has for you, too.
~~~~~~

...may dreams of Edinburgh bless and calm you...

6 comments:

  1. ...from George in Michigan:

    We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...from John in Florida:


    I will miss your ramblings on the spiderweb corners and hidden-in-plain-sight treasures of my hometown and the portraits of your family whom I never got to know well enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...from Randy in Virginia:

    Hi Christine, you are a gifted writer and I know your posts have enriched people's lives.... I haven't read all of them but each time I did, added a little poetry to my life. Randy

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...from Ellen in California:

    Mimsey,

    Your sweet soulfulness is a gift to the world!

    love,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...from Alan traveling in Alaska:

    Wow
    Never went to the blog and with the message that this is the last one I took notice.
    Thought I knew you better, but found that I never heard of your childhood. Never heard you mention living in Israel and other foreign countries.I knew Brazil and have a picture of you in Caracas but the rest is really new to me
    Wish you shared more of your background with me when we were together.
    I always knew you to be most unusual in talents, foreign exposure and upbringing, but I apparently only knew a small fraction of your depth.
    You obviously attracted me to your talents, personality and uniqueness. Wish we had a longer and more positive relationship.
    I hope you realize that I had a great feeling for you and a great deal of respect for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...from John in Chicago:

    Christine,

    I will miss your blog and appreciate all the thought and effort you have put into it over the years.

    Keep in touch.

    John Y.

    ReplyDelete